|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 18A, EDUCATION
Chapter 40: Employment of medical inspectors, optometrists and nurses; salaries; terms; rules
Section: 18A:40-41d: Student-Athlete Cardiac Screening professional development module.
3. a. The Commissioners of Education and Health, in consultation with the New Jersey Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the New Jersey Academy of Family Physicians, the American Heart Association, and the New Jersey Chapter of the American College of Cardiology, shall develop, by the 2013-2014 school year, a Student-Athlete Cardiac Screening professional development module to increase the assessment skills of those health care practitioners who perform student-athlete physical examinations and screenings. The module shall include, but need not be limited to, the following:
(1) how to complete and review a detailed medical history with an emphasis on cardiovascular family history and personal reports of symptoms;
(2) identifying symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest that may require follow up with a cardiologist;
(3) recognizing normal structural changes of the athletic heart;
(4) recognizing prodromal symptoms that precede sudden cardiac arrest;
(5) performing the cardiovascular physical examination;
(6) reviewing the major etiologies of sudden unexplained cardiac death with an emphasis on structural abnormalities and acquired conditions; and
(7) when to refer a student to a cardiologist for further assessment.
b. The module developed pursuant to subsection a. of this section and the pamphlet developed pursuant to section 1 of P.L.2007, c.125 (C.18A:40-41) shall be posted on the websites of the Department of Education, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the New Jersey Academy of Family Physicians, the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, the Athletic Trainers' Society of New Jersey, the State Board of Medical Examiners, the New Jersey State Board of Nursing, and the New Jersey State Society of Physician Assistants.
c. A physician, advanced practice nurse, or physician assistant who performs a student-athlete's annual physical examination prior to the student's participation in a school-sponsored interscholastic or intramural athletic team or squad as required pursuant to subsection a. of section 2 of P.L.2013, c.71 (C.18A:40-41.7) shall complete the Student-Athlete Cardiac Screening professional development module developed pursuant to subsection a. of this section. Upon performing a physical examination required by subsection a. of section 2 of P.L.2013, c.71 (C.18A:40-41.7), the physician, advanced practice nurse, or physician assistant shall sign the certification statement on the Preparticipation Physical Evaluation form required pursuant to subsection a. of section 2 of P.L.2013, c.71 (C.18A:40-41.7) attesting to the completion of the module. The board of education of a public school district and the governing board or chief school administrator of a nonpublic school shall retain the original signed statement to attest to the qualification of the health care practitioner to perform the physical examination required by subsection a. of section 2 of P.L.2013, c.71 (C.18A:40-41.7).
L.2013, c.71, s.3.
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2013-07-08 15:51:12.
Older versions of 18A:40-41d (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: CLICK HERE.