|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 45, PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
Chapter 9: State Board of Medical Examiners; advisory committee.
Section: 45:9-22.19: Schedule II controlled dangerous substance prescription quantities, conditions.
1. a. Except in the case of an initial prescription issued pursuant to section 11 of P.L.2017, c.28 (C.24:21-15.2), a physician licensed pursuant to chapter 9 of Title 45 of the Revised Statutes may prescribe a Schedule II controlled dangerous substance for the use of a patient in any quantity which does not exceed a 30-day supply, as defined by regulations adopted by the State Board of Medical Examiners in consultation with the Department of Health. The physician shall document the diagnosis and the medical need for the prescription in the patient's medical record, in accordance with guidelines established by the State Board of Medical Examiners.
b. Except in the case of an initial prescription issued pursuant to section 11 of P.L.2017, c.28 (C.24:21-15.2), a physician may issue multiple prescriptions authorizing the patient to receive a total of up to a 90-day supply of a Schedule II controlled dangerous substance, provided that the following conditions are met:
(1) each separate prescription is issued for a legitimate medical purpose by the physician acting in the usual course of professional practice;
(2) the physician provides written instructions on each prescription, other than the first prescription if it is to be filled immediately, indicating the earliest date on which a pharmacy may fill each prescription;
(3) the physician determines that providing the patient with multiple prescriptions in this manner does not create an undue risk of diversion or abuse; and
(4) the physician complies with all other applicable State and federal laws and regulations.
L.1997, c.249, s.1; amended 2009, c.165, s.1; 2017, c.28, s.12.
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2017-03-07 13:26:29.
Older versions of 45:9-22.19 (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: CLICK HERE.