|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 45, PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
Chapter 9: State Board of Medical Examiners; advisory committee.
Section: 45:9-22.5b: Certain referrals to surgical practice, ambulatory care facility.
5. a. A referral made during the first 12 months after the effective date of this section of P.L.2009, c.24 to a surgical practice or an ambulatory care facility licensed by the Department of Health and Senior Services to perform surgical and related services, shall be deemed to comply with the provisions of section 2 of P.L.1989, c.19 (C.45:9-22.5) if:
(1) the practitioner who makes the referral also personally performs the procedure; and
(2) disclosure of the referring practitioner's significant beneficial interest in the surgical practice or licensed ambulatory care facility is made to the patient in writing, at or prior to the time that the referral is made, consistent with the provisions of section 3 of P.L.1989, c.19 (C.45:9-22.6).
b. As used in this section, "surgical practice" means a structure or suite of rooms that has the following characteristics:
(1) has no more than one room dedicated for use as an operating room which is specifically equipped to perform surgery, and is designed and constructed to accommodate invasive diagnostic and surgical procedures;
(2) has one or more post-anesthesia care units or a dedicated recovery area where the patient may be closely monitored and observed until discharged; and
(3) is established by a physician, physician professional association surgical practice, or other professional practice form specified by the State Board of Medical Examiners pursuant to N.J.A.C.13:35-6.16(f) solely for the physician's, association's or other professional entity's private medical practice.
"Surgical practice" includes an unlicensed entity that is certified by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services as an ambulatory surgery center provider.
L.2009, c.24, s.5 (expires March 1, 2010).
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2012-09-26 13:37:54.
Older versions of 45:9-22.5b (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: CLICK HERE.