|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 52, STATE GOVERNMENT, DEPARTMENTS AND OFFICERS
Chapter 17B: Establishment of department; "the department" defined
Section: 52:17B-4.8: Appointment of certain State law enforcement department officers.
3. a. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law to the contrary, the appointing authority of a State law enforcement department or agency, other than the Division of State Police but including the appointing authority of a State college or university established pursuant to chapter 64 of Title 18A of the New Jersey Statutes or of a public research university, which requires appointees to successfully complete, prior to their appointment, a training course approved by the Police Training Commission may appoint as a member or officer of the agency any person who:
(1) was serving as a law enforcement officer in good standing in any State, county or municipal law enforcement department or agency, or county sheriff's office; and
(2) satisfactorily completed a working test period in a State law enforcement title or in a law enforcement title in a county or municipality which has adopted Title 11A, Civil Service, of the New Jersey Statutes or satisfactorily completed a comparable, documented probationary period in a law enforcement title in a county or municipality which has not adopted Title 11A, Civil Service; and
(3) was, for reasons of economy, terminated as a law enforcement officer within 60 months prior to the appointment.
b. A department or agency may employ such a person notwithstanding that:
(1) the appointment is subject to the provisions of Title 11A, Civil Service, of the New Jersey Statutes;
(2) the department or agency has available to it an eligible or regular reemployment list of law enforcement officers eligible for such appointments; and
(3) the appointed person is not on any eligible list. The department or agency may not employ such a person if a special reemployment list is in existence for the law enforcement title to be filled.
c. The seniority, seniority-related privileges and rank a law enforcement officer possessed with the employer who terminated the officer's employment for reasons of economy shall not be transferable to a new position when the officer is appointed to a law enforcement position pursuant to the provisions of this section.
L.2010, c.103, s.3.
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2012-09-26 13:37:55.
Older versions of 52:17B-4.8 (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: CLICK HERE.