|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 26, HEALTH AND VITAL STATISTICS
Chapter 2H: Declaration of public policy
Section: 26:2H-5g: Compilation, posting of certain staffing information by health care facilities.
2. a. A general hospital licensed pursuant to P.L.1971, c.136 (C.26:2H-1 et seq.) shall compile, and shall post daily in the patient care area of each unit of the hospital and provide upon request to a member of the public, information detailing for each unit and for the end of the prevailing shift, as appropriate:
(1) the number of registered professional nurses providing direct patient care and the ratio of patients to registered professional nurses;
(2) the number of licensed practical nurses providing direct patient care and the ratio of patients to licensed practical nurses;
(3) the number of certified nurse aides providing direct patient care and the ratio of patients to certified nurse aides;
(4) the number of other licensed or registered health care professionals meeting State staffing requirements; and
(5) the methods used by the hospital for determining and adjusting direct patient care staffing levels.
b. (1) A nursing home licensed pursuant to P.L.1971, c.136 (C.26:2H-1 et seq.) shall compile, and shall include with the information about health care professionals who are directly responsible for resident care, which it is required under federal law to post in areas where this information can be viewed by residents and members of the public, information that details the ratio of these health care professionals to residents for that particular day on each shift.
(2) The nursing home shall also provide to a member of the public, upon request, the information that is posted in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.
c. The information that is posted pursuant to subsections a. and b. of this section shall be displayed in a manner that is visible and accessible to all patients or residents, as applicable, their families and caregivers in the facility, as determined by regulation of the Commissioner of Health and Senior Services and subject to the applicable requirements of federal law.
d. A general hospital and nursing home shall report the information compiled pursuant to subsection a. or b. of this section, respectively, to the commissioner on a monthly basis, on a form and in a manner prescribed by the commissioner. The commissioner shall make this information available to the public on a quarterly basis, accompanied by a written explanation, which the commissioner shall prepare in consultation with the Quality Improvement Advisory Committee established by the commissioner, to assist members of the public in interpreting the information reported pursuant to this section.
e. A general hospital or nursing home that fails to comply with the provisions of this act, or any rules or regulations adopted pursuant thereto, shall be subject to a penalty as determined by the commissioner pursuant to sections 13 and 16 of P.L.1971, c.136 (C.26:2H-13 and C.26:2H-16).
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2012-09-26 13:37:49.
Older versions of 26:2H-5g (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: