|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 26, HEALTH AND VITAL STATISTICS
Section: 26:2S-5: Additional disclosure requirements.
5. a. In addition to the disclosure requirements provided in section 4 of this act, a carrier which offers a managed care plan shall disclose to a subscriber, in writing, in a manner consistent with the "Life and Health Insurance Policy Language Simplification Act," P.L.1979, c.167 (C.17B:17-17 et seq.), the following information at the time of enrollment and annually thereafter:
(1) A current participating provider directory providing information on a covered person's access to primary care physicians and specialists, including the number of available participating physicians, by provider category or specialty and by county. The directory shall include the professional office address of a primary care physician and any hospital affiliation the primary care physician has. The directory shall also provide information about participating hospitals.
In the case of a carrier that owns, wholly or in part, or contracts with a managed behavioral health care organization, the directory shall include a list of participating providers of behavioral health care services with the address of each provider.
The carrier shall promptly notify each covered person prior to the termination or withdrawal from the carrier's provider network of the covered person's primary care physician;
(2) General information about the financial incentives between participating physicians under contract with the carrier and other participating health care providers and facilities to which the participating physicians refer their managed care patients;
(3) The percentage of the carrier's managed care plan's network physicians who are board certified;
(4) The carrier's managed care plan's standard for customary waiting times for appointments for urgent and routine care;
(5) The availability through the department, upon request of a member of the general public, of independent consumer satisfaction survey results and an analysis of quality outcomes of health care services of managed care plans in the State;
(6) Information about the Managed Health Care Consumer Assistance Program established pursuant to P.L.2001, c.14 (C.26:2S-19 et al.) as prescribed by regulation of the commissioner, including the toll-free telephone number available to contact the program; and
(7) The carrier's preauthorization and review requirements of the health benefits plan regarding the determination of medical necessity that apply to a covered person who is admitted to an in-network health care facility, and the financial responsibility of the patient for the cost of services provided by an out-of-network admitting or attending health care practitioner.
The carrier shall provide a prospective subscriber with information about the provider network, including hospital affiliations, and other information specified in this subsection, upon request.
b. Upon request of a covered person, a carrier shall promptly inform the person:
(1) whether a particular network physician is board certified; and
(2) whether a particular network physician is currently accepting new patients.
c. The carrier shall file the information required pursuant to this section with the department.
L.1997,c.192,s.5; amended 2001, c.14, s.7; 2001, c.367, s.1; 2005, c.172, s.3.
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2012-09-26 13:37:49.
Older versions of 26:2S-5 (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: