|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 23, FISH AND GAME, WILD BIRDS AND ANIMALS
Chapter 3: License for hunting, fishing or trapping; penalty; exemptions.
Section: 23:3-51.16: Menhaden Personal Use and Limited Sale License.
12. a. Any person who intends to take menhaden from any State waters, including the waters of the Atlantic ocean within three nautical miles of the State coast line, for personal use as bait, with the option to sell or barter 500 pounds or less in excess of the amount needed for bait per day by the person, shall apply to the commissioner for a Menhaden Personal Use and Limited Sale License, in accordance with the provisions of this section. Upon receipt of the application and payment of the applicable fee, the commissioner may, in the commissioner's discretion and as authorized pursuant to R.S.23:3-51 and section 3 of P.L.2010, c.72 (C.23:3-51.1), issue to the applicant a Menhaden Personal Use and Limited Sale License, except as prohibited by subsection b. of this section. A license issued pursuant to this section shall be valid only for the calendar year for which it is issued, and shall be renewed on an annual basis. Any license application for a Menhaden Personal Use and Limited Sale License shall be filed with the commissioner prior to the annual deadline established thereby for application submission and any application received by the commissioner after this deadline shall be denied.
b. The provisions of subsection b. of R.S.23:3-51 shall apply to the license established in subsection a. of this section and the taking of menhaden pursuant to this section.
c. A person who is issued a Menhaden Personal Use and Limited Sale License pursuant to subsection a. of this section may take menhaden with a gill net, and the person shall not be required to tend the net.
d. The holder of a license issued pursuant to this section shall have the license on board the vessel being used in the taking of menhaden at all times during that use of the vessel for that purpose.
e. A person applying for a Menhaden Personal Use and Limited Sale License shall meet the following criteria:
(1) hold a valid gill net license and a pot fishery license; and
(2) provide proof of harvesting 5,000 pounds or more of any combination of species harvested in baited pots in any one year between 2009 and 2012, inclusive.
f. (1) A resident of the State who is licensed under this section to land menhaden taken by gill net shall be required to pay an annual fee of $50.
(2) A non-resident of the State who is licensed under this section to land menhaden taken by gill net shall be required to pay an annual fee of $250, or an amount equal to the non-resident fee charged for the landing of menhaden in the non-resident's state, whichever is greater.
(3) Any license fees collected pursuant to this subsection shall be deposited in the Menhaden Marine Fisheries Management Account, established pursuant to section 14 of P.L.2013, c.74 (C.23:3-51.12).
g. Nothing in this section, R.S.23:3-51, or any other law, or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant thereto, shall prohibit a person who does not possess a Menhaden Personal Use and Limited Sale License from landing 100 pounds or less of menhaden, at any time, and on any trip or day.
h. Except for the excess 500 pounds or less allowed to be sold or bartered pursuant to subsection a. of this section, a holder of a Menhaden Personal Use and Limited Sale License shall only make personal use of menhaden as bait for the person's commercial fishing pots and shall not use menhaden for any other purpose.
L.2014, c.47, s.12.
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2014-09-18 11:28:16.
Older versions of 23:3-51.16 (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: