|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 52, STATE GOVERNMENT, DEPARTMENTS AND OFFICERS
Chapter 17B: Establishment of department; "the department" defined
Section: 52:17B-68.2: Development of modified basic training program for county corrections officers.
1. a. The Police Training Commission in the Division of Criminal Justice in the Department of Law and Public Safety shall develop a supplemental course to be known as the modified basic training program for county corrections officers. The program shall provide the additional training necessary to allow an eligible county corrections officer to be certified as a county sheriff's officer. The Police Training Commission shall develop the program within 180 days of the effective date of this act.
b. A county corrections officer is eligible for the modified basic training program if the officer has:
(1) previously completed a basic training course administered by the Police Training Commission pursuant to P.L.1961, c.56 (C.52:17B-66 et seq.);
(2) been designated by the county sheriff as eligible to transition into the position of sheriff's officer based on the officer's law enforcement examination test score and seniority;
(3) served in the county correction's officer title for a minimum of 36 months in the facility under the jurisdiction of the county sheriff; and
(4) a criminal history record background check of the officer has been conducted by the appointing authority and the officer has not been deemed ineligible to transition to the position of sheriff's officer on the basis of any conviction disclosed by the background check.
c. The modified basic training program shall, at a minimum, provide comprehensive and consistent training in law enforcement practices and concepts. Each course instructor shall be proficient and experienced in law enforcement practices and concepts.
d. The modified basic training program shall be offered at an academy approved by the Police Training Commission to provide police training courses pursuant to the provisions of P.L.1961, c.56 (C.52:17B-66 et seq.).
e. The waiver rule set forth in N.J.A.C.13:1-8.4 authorizing the Police Training Commission to waive all or part of a basic training course shall apply to an eligible county corrections officer taking the modified basic training program developed pursuant to subsection a. of this section.
f. A county corrections officer who successfully completes the modified basic training program shall be eligible for a lateral transfer to the position of sheriff's officer in the county in which the officer serves. An officer eligible for a lateral transfer shall not be denied a transfer to an available position without cause.
g. The Civil Service Commission shall adopt rules and regulations pursuant to the "Administrative Procedure Act," P.L.1968, c.410 (C.52:14B-1 et seq.), to implement the provisions of this section.
L.2019, c.247, s.1.
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2019-09-26 13:32:12.
Older versions of 52:17B-68.2 (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: