|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 52, STATE GOVERNMENT, DEPARTMENTS AND OFFICERS
Chapter 17B: Establishment of department; "the department" defined
Section: 52:17B-77.13: Development, identification of uniform cultural diversity training course materials, online tutorial.
1. a. The Department of Law and Public Safety shall develop or identify uniform cultural diversity training course materials and an online tutorial that shall include instruction designed to promote positive interaction with, and community outreach to, all residents within a community, including residents of all racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals residing within the community. Components of the training course materials and online tutorial shall include, but not be limited to, instruction on:
(1) the various cultural communities and the effects of diversity on community relations within a community;
(2) appropriate methods by which an officer may interact with people of various cultures and religions in the community, with an emphasis on officer safety skills and conflict resolution techniques;
(3) best practices in law enforcement techniques when analyzing and solving local neighborhood problems, meeting with community groups, and working with citizens on crime prevention programs; and
(4) the impact that police diversity skills have on overall law enforcement effectiveness.
b. The Department of Law and Public Safety shall cause the training course materials and online tutorial developed or identified pursuant to subsection a. of this section to be made available to every State, county, and municipal law enforcement department in the State and to each campus police department at an institution of higher education in the State that appoints police officers pursuant to P.L.1970, c.211 (C.18A:6-4.2 et seq.) for use in providing officer training and information promoting community outreach efforts within the law enforcement department's community.
c. The Department of Law and Public Safety shall periodically assess the training course materials and online tutorial developed or identified pursuant to subsection a. of this section and update them where the department finds appropriate.
L.2016, c.23, s.1.
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2016-08-22 16:06:08.
Older versions of 52:17B-77.13 (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: