|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 26, HEALTH AND VITAL STATISTICS
Chapter 2H: Declaration of public policy
Section: 26:2H-12.62: Definitions relative to qualifications for employment as surgical technologist.
1. For purposes of this act:
"Health care facility" means a hospital or other health care facility licensed pursuant to P.L.1971, c.136 (C.26:2H-1 et seq.).
"Surgical technologist" means a person who is authorized to practice surgical technology pursuant to the provisions of this act.
"Surgical technology" means surgical patient care that includes, but is not limited to, the following tasks or functions:
(1) preparing the operating room for surgical procedures by ensuring that surgical equipment is functioning properly and safely;
(2) preparing the operating room and the sterile field for surgical procedures by preparing sterile supplies, instruments, and equipment using sterile technique;
(3) anticipating the needs of the surgical team based on knowledge of human anatomy and pathophysiology and how they relate to the surgical patient and the patient's surgical procedure; and
(4) as directed, performing tasks at the sterile field including:
(a) passing supplies, equipment or instruments;
(b) sponging or suctioning an operative site;
(c) preparing and cutting suture material;
(d) transferring and irrigating with fluids;
(e) transferring and administering drugs within the sterile field, according to applicable law;
(f) handling specimens;
(g) holding retractors and other instruments;
(h) applying electrocautery to clamps on bleeders;
(i) connecting drains to suction apparatus;
(j) applying dressings to closed wounds; and
(k) performing sponge, needle, supply and instrument counts with the registered nurse circulator.
L.2011, c.148, s.1.
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2012-09-26 13:37:49.
Older versions of 26:2H-12.62 (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: