|PREVIOUS SECTION||Go back to sections||Go back to the chapter||Go back to the N.J. Statutes homepage||NEXT SECTION|
New Jersey Statutes, Title: 24, FOOD AND DRUGS
Section: 24:21-6: Schedule II.
6. Schedule II.
a. Tests. The director shall place a substance in Schedule II if he finds that the substance: (1) has high potential for abuse; (2) has currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, or currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions; and (3) abuse may lead to severe psychic or physical dependence.
b. The controlled dangerous substances listed in this section are included in Schedule II, subject to any revision and republishing by the director pursuant to subsection d. of section 3 of P.L.1970, c.226 (C.24:21-3), and except to the extent provided in any other schedule.
c. Any of the following substances except those narcotic drugs listed in other schedules whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:
(1) Opium and opiate, and any salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of opium or opiate.
(2) Any salt, compound, derivative, or preparation thereof which is chemically equivalent or identical with any of the substances referred to in clause 1, except that these substances shall not include the isoquinaline alkaloids of opium.
(3) Opium poppy and poppy straw.
(4) Coca leaves and any salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of coca leaves, and any salt, compound, derivative, or preparation thereof which is chemically equivalent or identical with any of these substances, except that the substances shall not include decocainized coca leaves or extractions which do not contain cocaine or ecogine.
d. Any of the following opiates, including their isomers, esters, ethers, salts, and salts of isomers, esters and ethers, unless specifically excepted, whenever the existence of such isomers, esters, ethers, and salts is possible within the specific chemical designation:
(12) Methadone--Intermediate, 4-cyano-2-dimethylamino-4, 4-diphenyl butane
(13) Moramide--Intermediate, 2-methyl-3-morpholino-1, 1-diphenyl-propane-carboxylic acid
(15) Pethidine--Intermediate--A, 4-cyano-1-methyl-4-phenylpiperidine
(16) Pethidine--Intermediate--B, ethyl-4-phenylpiperidine-4-carboxylate
(17) Pethidine--Intermediate--C, 1-methyl-4-phenylpiperidine-4-carboxylic acid
L.1970, c.226, s.6; amended 2007, c.244, s.4.
This section added to the Rutgers Database: 2012-09-26 13:37:48.
Older versions of 24:21-6 (if available):
Court decisions that cite this statute: